Sunday, July 15, 2007

THE END

I know I’ve been very quiet on the blog lately. I sort of expected myself to blog about my expectations for the book everyday starting from the ‘one month to DH’ day. I guess I just couldn’t bring myself to face the truth that the book release is so near. But I have to say something about it before it comes out, don’t I? So, here it goes…

I’m not as excited about the release as I might have been a few weeks ago. I know I’ve been eagerly counting down the days, but suddenly I’m not so eager for it to arrive anymore. In fact, I think I’d be perfectly content not knowing the fate of the characters. Don’t be mistaken, I haven’t lost any interest in it or anything. I just feel too much for the characters that I can’t bear knowing what’s going to happen to them. There’s no turning back once you’ve read it.

I can’t help wondering how much Jo must’ve gone through. She said she was both ‘euphoric and devastated’ on finishing the book. She sobbed while she was writing one of the last chapters, one that had been planned so long ago. If I’m feeling this anxious about the book, I’m surprised she hasn’t broken down and gone to a mental hospital yet.

What made me really scared is the interview Jo gave a few days ago. She said that this book is going to be hated by a lot of people. Work out yourself what that means, because I have no idea. Maybe it means Harry’s going to die?

But anyway, Jo still has my full trust. I know she won’t let us, or at least me, down.

Right now the first post of the first page of Mugglenet is what the Guardian claims to be the opening chapter of the book (apparently they got it from the documentary video on Jo’s life), and I HAVE NOT READ IT (I’m so proud of myself!). I read some of the comments though (heh couldn’t resist). Arghhhh to read or not to read… read, don’t read, read, don’t read, read, don’t read…

Ok I’ve decided. I think I’ll read it after I finish the book. Heh.

Oh I almost forgot. I think I need to give a gentle reminder before the book comes out.

IF YOU THINK YOU’RE GOING TO SPOIL THIS BOOK FOR ME, IT’LL BE IN YOUR DREAMS! MUAHAHAHAHAHA…

Please don’t. Spoilers are bad, bad things, children. You really don’t want to make me angry, do you now? You might feel a bit, ah, inflated afterwards.

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea. I might get enrolled into Hogwarts after displaying magical tendencies out of fury.

Anyway, do be considerate and think of the feelings of an HP fan whose sanity clings onto this chunk of paper. And it’s not only me. We’ve been waiting faithfully for half our lives for this, and if you think it’s fun to spoil books for other people, you might end up being on the receiving end of a stampede and a very nasty combination of hexes with the word ‘SPOILED’ on your face. After that, being inflated won’t be such a bad idea.

I still can’t believe that in around 5 days and 8 hours, I WILL BE HOLDING THE BOOK IN MY HANDS. I’m planning to finish it in one day, because I probably wouldn’t be able to sleep if I didn’t. I don’t think it’ll sink in within one day, though. I remember the first time I read book 6, it all seemed so unreal. The plot was unfamiliar to me compared to the rest of the series, which I’d read over 10 times. I was just struggling to come to terms with what had happened. And I know it’s going to be much worse for this last book.

It must sound really stupid agonising over something that’s, well, not real, when dunno how many million people around the world are suffering with reality. I sound so self-centred, don’t I?

Let me be self-centred for a few more days then. After that I promise to be extra nice to everyone.

This time I’ll end the post with a diary entry from none other than the genius herself.



February 6 , 2007

Charles Dickens put it better than I ever could:

'It would concern the reader little, perhaps, to know how sorrowfully the pen is laid down at the close of a two-years' imaginative task; or how an Author feels as if he were dismissing some portion of himself into the shadowy world, when a crowd of the creatures of his brain are going from him for ever.'

To which I can only sigh, try seventeen years, Charles...

I always knew that Harry's story would end with the seventh book, but saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be. Even while I'm mourning, though, I feel an incredible sense of achievement. I can hardly believe that I've finally written the ending I've been planning for so many years. I've never felt such a mixture of extreme emotions in my life, never dreamed I could feel simultaneously heartbroken and euphoric.

Some of you have expressed a (much more muted!) mixture of happiness and sadness at the prospect of the last book being published, and that has meant more than I can tell you. If it comes as any consolation, I think that there will be plenty to continue arguing and speculating about, even after 'Deathly Hallows' comes out. So if you're not yet ready to quit the message boards, do not despair...

I'm almost scared to admit this, but one thing has stopped me collapsing in a puddle of misery on the floor. While each of the previous Potter books has strong claims on my affections, 'Deathly Hallows' is my favourite, and that is the most wonderful way to finish the series.



Ah, I love Jo to bits. What would my life be without her?

And as Hagrid wisely put it,

“What’s comin’ will come, an’ we’ll meet it when it does.”

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment