Saturday, December 23, 2006

Saga of the 6Nations Excerpt

The source of the continuous tapping became clear as he rounded the bend. Making his way slowly along the path, with a lantern in one hand, and a cane in the other, was a blind, old man.
"Old man, why do you carry a light if you are blind?" the young man asked curiously. The old man held the lantern higher, making as if to peer into it.
"Really? Is the lantern really lighted?" the old man asked irritably.
"Quite sure," the young man replied.
"Damn, I told him to get me a lantern, and he has to go and light the lantern for me as well," the old man muttered under his breath.
"So why the lantern?"
"Young man," the old man tried, and stopped. "Young man," he began again.
"Yes?"
"Stop interrrupting and listen to me!" the old man snapped. "Now tell me, is it the Mid-Autumn Festival now?"
"No," was the reply. Another muttered "damn" was heard.
"Now you see," the old man lectured sternly, "if it's not the mid-autumn festival, then why else is a blind old man like me carrying a lit lantern? The answer is so obvious, and you young people should start thinking for yourselves. I'm certainly not going to spoonfeed you."
"Um...the lit lantern is symbolic, to show people that even though you are visually disabled, yet you see clearly where others cannot, and thus use the lantern to guide others on the path towards enlightenment?" the young man tried.
"Nonsense!" the old man snapped angrily. "Young man, have you ever heard of basic road safety? Since I cannot watch where I'm going, at night, it's necessary for people to watch where they go so that they do not collide into me. All these airy-fairy explanations about symbols, I wonder what the next generation of seers is coming to..."
"Sir? It's daytime now."
"Oh." This time the old man didn't bother cursing under his breath. He raised his head, then went completely still, staring straight into the young man's eyes with his twin milky orbs. "...for the light of the Sun, the Holy Lightbulb-in-the-sky*, is but fleeting and transient, and the time will come when the Lightbulb will be engulfed by the darkness of the Evil Overlord, and darkness will befall the lands of the 6Nations for all eternity," the old man intoned ominously. He blinked, shook his head, and declared triumphantly, “so I must be prepared for all contingencies."
Upon hearing his words, the young man fell to his knees, and prostrated before the blind man in wonder.
"Forgive my insolence, Great Seer. I have heard of you before, but failed to recognise your exalted person."

*The people of the 6Nations believed that their world was created in a laboratory, with a Great Lightbulb serving as their Sun and sacred Source of Life. Refer to the Holy Book of Creation for more details.


I need comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment