Saturday, February 06, 2010

501

Hello, all.


*waits for gasps of astonishment to subside*


Okay, for reasons unbeknownst to me, YS' prev post inspired me to write a similar entry as well. Rest assured I will not bore you out engage you intellectually in the intricacies of chess strategy. I shall instead talk about a new game, well not so much new as an old game I used to play in the past, that I am currently occupied with. 


As some of you may already know, my current job in Eunos leaves me a lot of spare time throughout the day due to the coughefficiencycough in which I accomplish my tasks. Having nothing else to do, I decided to re-visit this online mmorpg that i used to play in P5. That's like, 10 years ago. Surprisingly, my game-friends who used to play with me in sec sch are STILL playing the game.. So I started chatting with them, and one thing led to another, which ended up in me creating a new character in that game.


Aardwolf is a text-based MUD (multi-user dungeon) that looks similiar to that of a DOS interface. It's entirely text-based, like for eg. if u wanted to move, u would type "north" or "down", and if u wanted to kill someone u would type "kill ". This is how a typical game situation may look like.


***********************START SAMPLE*********************



What be thy name, adventurer? 
drareg

Existing profile loaded - please enter your password.

Password: ******


--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Welcome to Aardwolf        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
May your adventures be mystical, challenging and rewarding.


(Friend) Redryn: 'hi drareg'
(Friend) Candlejack Resiliang: 'IN AMERICA'

>> ft heys
You tell your friends: 'heys'
[HP: 100% | MP: 100% | MV: 100% | Qt: 10 | Tnl: 1060] *[NOEXP]*


>> wake
You wake and stand up.

Among the Philosophes (G)

To the south of the Grand Plaza is a magnificent Stoa built entirely of
white marble.  A series of steps lead into the body proper of the building,
which is encircled by peristyle ionic columns and decorated in the ionic
style.  The greatest minds of all Andolor congregate here to debate matters
of philosophy, or just to think great thoughts in the same corridors where
thinkers past have done so.  The most sought-out magister of them all is
Questor, who dispenses worldly knowledge and experience by giving
assignments to those who ask.  Those who yearn for knowledge and
understanding flock to the Stoa, and they are never disappointed.  Any time
of day or night, conversations can be heard on subjects as lofty as the
meaning of life and the nature of death and the hereafter.  
[Exits: north east south up]
     A long elegant steel sword catches your attention.

Espol the Elementalist is here.
(W) (Linkdead) Gymer the Berserker is here.
Flyswapper the Berserker is here.
(W) Nei :3 is sleeping here.
Victoire the duck. quack. is sleeping in a trivia sleeping bag.
(W) Mathoran the Berserker. is sleeping here.
The world famous Master Questor of Aylor hands out quests to adventurers.

>> runto gallows
Running to: Gallows Hill


Breaking out into the field of Gallows Hill
[Exits: north south]


A peasant is here harvesting rye grain from the field.
A black cat is here, trying to cross paths with you.
A furry little field mouse scampers around here. [TARGET]
A drunk peasant stands here, wobbling back and forth.
[HP: 100% | MP: 100% | MV: 93% | Qt: 50 | Tnl: 1060] *[NOEXP]*

>> k mous
[1] Your stab **** DESTROYS **** A field mouse! [96]
A field mouse is slain by a final deadly stab!!
You receive 186 experience points.
You have set your character to receive no experience points!
QUEST: You have almost completed your QUEST!
Return to the questmaster before your time runs out.
You get 1 gold coin from the perforated corpse of A field mouse.
Ayla gives you 1 gold coin for the perforated corpse of A field mouse.


You inform Questor that you have completed your quest.
Questor tells you 'Congratulations Drareg on completing your quest!'
Questor tells you 'As a reward, I am giving you 10 quest points and 2636 gold.'
You gain an extra 2 quest points 'MCCP Bonus'.
[HP: 100% | MP: 100% | MV: 99% | Qt: 30 | Tnl: 1060] *[NOEXP]*

>> sleep
You go to sleep.
[HP: 100% | MP: 100% | MV: 99% | Qt: 30 | Tnl: 1060] *[NOEXP]* 

***********************END SAMPLE*********************

So this is what I have been spending my time at work on..."super newbie-ing", or in other words staying at level 1 and continue doing quests to accumulate quest points. Since quests can only be done once every 30mins, it complements my work well as i can do work and while waiting 30mins for my next quest. Sometimes you may even see me afk in dota for a short while, as I go do my quest while waiting for hero to respawn. Hehheh.

Anyway, despite the lack of a graphic interface, I have been hooked on this game ever since I started it again 5 days ago. Even between the 30mins waiting for quest, I wander around exploring and chat to my friends on the game. I fear my colleagues or worse, my boss will find out sooner or later =\

If any of you are wondering, you don't need to install anything to play this game. Any computer with an internet connection can start playing. Start --> run --> telnet --> type "open aardmud.org 4010" --> create new character. It's that easy.

Okay, enough about my obsessing. YS' list of games inspires me to pen down my list of games as well. If any of you want to borrow, pls tell me so this game doesn't get wasted.

################################

List of games which I have impulsively bought over the last 2 years and never got down to finish playing


1. Red Alert 3 (currently with cuz kel)
2. Tiberium Wars
3. Assassin's Creed (got bored halfway)
4. Overlord
5. Crysis: Warhead (realized i dun really enjoy FPS =S)
6. Fallout 3 (combat is abit boring)
7. Mass Effect (I used a cheat code for infinite money and it got too easy lol)
8. Far Cry 2 (same as s/n 5)
9. Borderlands (the graphics engine keep crashing on my comp! damn all nvidia games)
10. Dragon Age: Origins (my most recent game. cuz kel bought it for me from JB. has potential to be great fun!)
11. World of Goo (bought this on steam cos it looked cute. puzzle game; i got stuck halfway)
12. World of Warcraft (stopped subscription since I'm working now)

List of games yet to come out that I may consider buying
A. Diablo III (omg omg omg yeahhh must-buy)
B. Mass Effect 2 (eh...i dunno, no point buying if i dun finish the first one)
C. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (um lol, i only just started on wrath of the lich king. see how ba)

List of finished games
I. Batman: Arkham Asylum (really good! highly recommended)
II. Prototype (currently with cuz kel)
III. Portal
IV. Plants vs Zombies
V. Prince of Persia

List of games from so long ago I won't consider playing them le
Guild Wars, Guild Wars: Factions, Guild Wars: Nightfall
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Battle for Middle Earth (currently with kel feng)
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Neverwinter Nights II (currently with cuz kel)



################################


Okay shid, after compiling this list I realize that I freaking spent A LOT of money on games that I don't play. I feel super guilty now...all you guys interested in any of the above plz let me know so that my shelf doesn't look so full of games.

Final note: I find the following sentence rather ironic -- "despite hardly having any games, I've always had good games to entertain me" -- eh isnt that like self-contradictory? Ok anyway, YS send me the bookworm game! Another game to add to my list of half-played games :)

No comments:

Post a Comment